DR. GAMALIEL TAN
Dr Gamaliel Tan is an orthopaedic spine surgeon with a speciality interest in spine surgery.He is experienced in endoscopic spine surgery and motion preservation spine procedures(artificial disc replacements), providing an alternative to standard spine surgery. He also manages all conditions of the spine related to degeneration, fractures, tumours, infections, and deformity of the spine.
In 2009, Dr Tan started the Department of Orthopaedics at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital (NTFGH). He served as the Head of Department till 2018 and was the Head of the Spine Division till 2023. Under his leadership, endoscopic spine services were started in NTFGH in 2020. He continues to be a visiting consultant to NTFGH and NUH. He also served as the Group Chief Medical Informatics Officer (GCMIO) for National University Hospital System (NUHS) and helped implement the cluster EMR system during that time. The system garnered the prestigious HIMSS EMRAM Stage 7 award in 2016 and 2020 and the HIMSS Davies Award in 2020.
For his contributions, he was awarded the MOH Public Service Administration Medal (Bronze) and NUHS Long Service Award (25 years) in 2021.
He is a member of the Singapore Spine Society and AOSpine Society. He served as a council member of the AOSpine East Asia group from 2017 – 2020.
1995 - 2005
Dr Tan graduated from Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (NUS) in 1995. He obtained his FRCS (Ortho) in 2005 whilst working at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He was awarded a MOH scholarship to specialize in spine surgery in the University of Toronto in 2006, where he spent a year in Toronto Western Hospital working with Prof MG Fehlings.
1) Unilateral Biportal Endoscopic Supralaminar, posterior spinous process sparing approach for en bloc cervical laminectomy in case of cervical osteochondroma causing cervical myelopathy. A case report. NASSJ Open Access: April 27 2023
2) Overview of tips in overcoming the learning curve in uniportal and biportal endoscopic spine surgery. Journal of minimally invasive spine surgery adn technique 6(Suppl 1):S84-S96, 2021 (doi: https://doi.org/10.21182/jmisst.2020.00024
3) Artificial Intelligence in Sepsis early prediction and diagnosis using unstructured data in healthcare. Nature Communications Jan 2021;
4) Telemedicine use in Orthopaedics: Experience during COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, Sept 2021;
5) Prediction of Readmission in Geriatric Patients from Clinical notes: Retrospective Text Mining Study. JIMR 2021; https://doi.org/10.2196/26486
6) A Systematic Review of Complications Associated with Initial Learning Curve of Endoscopic Spine Surgery Highlighting the Necessity of Introducing an Effective Fellowship to Train Competent Endoscopic Spine Surgeons. Journal of Spine May 2020; https://doi.org/10.37421/jsp.2020.9.456
7) C1/C2 osteomyelitis secondary to malignant otitis externa complicated by atlantoaxial subluxation – a case report and review of the literature. AME Case Reports 2020; https://doi.org/10.21037/acr.2020.03.04
8) Minimally invasive lateral access corpectomy for a solitary renal cell carcinoma spinal metastasis: A case report, 2018 JMISST;
9) High Speed, High Density Intraoperative 3D Optical Topographical Imaging with Efficient Registration to MRI and CT for craniospinal surgical navigation. 2018